Good Riddance 2016
You’ve been a royal asshole of a year.
And now please don’t anyone tell me that it is “not the year that does this and that and kills people”. Of course it’s not The Year that does all that.
But please, do I really have to remind you, why people feel that way?
This is the last day of a year where we have complained and cursed enough, haven’t we. What about making an effort to look at what was good in 2016? There must be something to find, don’t you think?
However, I don’t want to go as far as looking at what good has happened in this big world. I want to look at my own little cosmos. What have I liked about the year? What was positive? What was fun?
- First of all, and most important: I am a heart attack survivor! This is a disease, where a lot of people die from. So far and 6 months after it happened, I’m still here, doing well. I’m not bragging. I’m just enormously thankful. I may have mentioned that in the one or other post since June 10, but in all honesty: I can’t repeat it often enough. I’M THANKFUL. So yes, this IS a good thing.
- In the process, I’ve learned a lot. I’ve learned how to look after me a bit better, I’ve learned to eat healthier, I’ve learned that it DOES help to get off of the couch and do sports. I’ve lost a lot of weight, I feel better than I did before the heart attack, I’ve lost 2-3 clothes sizes (depending on what brand I buy, ha! 😉 ), if that’s not positive, then I don’t know what is.
- All my friends and family are still alive and doing well
- I’ve discovered how wonderful it is, to listen to audio books. I’m addicted.
- In the process, I’ve discovered Harry Potter. I’m in love.
- I’ve seen Lee MacDougall playing live 11 times (hereof two times at private events)
- I’ve seen Bobby Long playing live 2 times (hereof one time at a private event)
- I’ve seen Noel Gallagher (he of ex-Oasis fame) playing live for the first time
- I’ve seen The Phantom of the Opera 3 times!
- I’ve been on a wonderful summer vacation in East Germany and Travemünde
- I’ve ate the best spare-ribs in the world in Scharendijke (Netherlands) at least one time
- I’ve discovered the joy that are Swatch watches (another new addiction)
- I’ve got a new great lens for my camera
- My car didn’t break down or cause any major costly problems
- My BFF has managed to crawl out of a very dark hole and is in the process of turning her life around, which is great!
- I have a safe (knock on wood) job that pays all my bills
- It was the 28th year of being bestest friends, partners in crime and soulmates for S and I and we’re still counting.
And last but not least, I’ve managed to reach my goal: to post at least one photo each day of the year. Well… almost. Am I excused for that one day where I was sick as a dog?
Please go ahead and tell me in the comments what were your highlights and good and fun things of 2016. Let’s always concentrate on the good and forget about the bad, shall we?
And with this day and this post, this blog, this project comes to a definite end. At least on this platform. And in this language.
I will continue, but in a slightly different way and also not on Word Press. It took me quite a long time to decide what to do next. Should I continue with a blog at all? If yes, should I continue in the same way as this? Should I simply write the next post on January 1st, 2017 in the same way right here?
The answer is: no! In fact I’ve worked on my own website in the past weeks. It’s by no means completely finished. It’s not that easy to set up a website, and I’m not the most patient and skilled person when it comes to stuff like that. But then… should I wait until I’ve learned enough to be perfect? That might never happen so why not just go on and do it and learn in the process?
Part of that website is a blog. The thing is though: I’ve decided – and it wasn’t an easy decision – to write in German this time. It was fun to write the last 366 days in English. I really like writing in English, even though I’m far from perfect. It’s fun, and a good training. But I’m German and I would like to write a blog in my native language for once. It’s funny how the English language has taken up a big part in my life but I want to find out now, how it feels to write in my mother tongue for a change.
If you are not yet sick of my senseless babbling and random photos, I’d love to see you on the other
side site. If you don’t understand German… doesn’t matter. You can still look at the photos, right? 😉
Thanks everyone for staying with me for this past year. I know there were only a handful of regular readers and that was fine. I didn’t really want it the other way. This project was more for me than for anyone else. Some of you were along for the whole ride from start to finish. THANK YOU! Some followed, probably only to be followed back on their own blog and never read one post, that’s fine too.
A very special thanks to my dearest friend Jinjer, who not only read each and every post, but also commented on each and every post. This is beyond awesome and means a lot to me! Thanks, Dear :-* I’m sorry that my next project will be written in German only, but I hope you understand my reasons.
Starting tomorrow you’ll find me here.
Wishing you all a very happy, prosperous, fun and healthy 2017!
I’m off then….